Digital Literacy Instructor
Briya Public Charter School
Washington, DC, US
Worker Category: Full-time Regular
This position description incorporates the core responsibilities of the job. It is recognized that other related duties not specifically mentioned might also be performed and that not all listed responsibilities may be carried out, depending on operational needs. The school is willing to modify duties in order to meet the skills and interests of the instructor as long as the duties meet the needs of the program.
Digital Literacy Instructor Functions:
- Teach digital literacy skills in the Adult Education ESL classes of Briya PCS, a family literacy program. Classes include basic skills including computers, iPads, typing, and educational software. Computer classes cover introductory use of Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, Publisher, and PowerPoint as well as Windows, Internet, and e-mail.
- Incorporate a variety of technologies into instruction including technologies used in work settings such as: photocopiers, scanners, and fax machines; and technologies used for personal settings such as: iPads, cell phone/telephone applications (ex. voicemail, texting, camera, and videos), and digital/video cameras.
- Work with Adult Education instructors and Digital Literacy Coordinator to plan lessons that integrate components of ESL, child development, and computer skills. Develop daily lesson plans that include objectives, instructional activities with differentiated instruction, and assessments that are appropriate to the skill level, needs, and interests of the students in the program. Design authentic learning experiences to develop the knowledge, skills, and attitudes necessary to be effective workers, parents/family members, and community members/citizens.
- Provide quality instruction that fosters an academic learning climate, that actively supports teaching and learning, and that implements the Technology Standards & Curriculum with fidelity. Support the implementation of the ESL and Parenting/PACT curricula which focuses on working with families to identify their strengths and providing strategies to reach their goals. The curriculum also encourages parent participation in their children’s education.
- Utilize effective teaching strategies that provide opportunities for student learning and active engagement in the learning process. Meet the needs of students at risk of academic failure or students not making reasonable progress toward achieving school and personal goals.
- Provide a safe and orderly learning environment.
- Maintain the computer labs and an inventory of information and technology equipment (hardware and software).
- Provide information and referrals for families regarding social, health, legal, and educational resources and opportunities available in the area. Refers students to Student Services Coordinator as needed.
- Recruit families who qualify according to the established guidelines. Assist with student recruitment, student registrations, and special events such as graduation and other site celebrations.
- Attend and participate in all staff meetings, trainings, and retreats.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Teamwork – Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of the team above own interests; Supports everyone’s efforts to succeed; Must be able to work well in multidisciplinary team setting
- Interpersonal Skills – Focuses on solving conflict in cooperative manner, not placing blame on others; Keeps emotions under control; Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills; Understands cultural and linguistic barriers to education
- Diversity – Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural and educational differences
- Ethics – Treats people with respect
- Organizational Support – Follows policies and procedures
- Professionalism – Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position
- Safety and Security – Observes safety and security procedures; Reports potentially unsafe conditions; Uses equipment and materials properly
- Attendance/Punctuality – Is consistently at work and on time, which is pre-determined between the employee and the supervisor
- Dependability – Follows instruction and responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to meet the needs of Briya’s students
- Flexibility – Willingness to be flexible with work schedule to participate in weekend and/or evening schedules as determined necessary
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Teaching experience with literacy-level adult language learners preferred.
- Excellent communication skills in English required and Spanish preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal, problem-solving, analytical, and organizational skills.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out moderately complex, multi-step instructions and make appropriate independent decisions as necessary.
Physical Demands: Regularly required sitting; frequently required to reach with hands and arms, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, talk or hear; must be able to lift objects up to twenty-five (25) pounds. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work Environment: Mostly in a typical office setting with quiet to moderate noise level.
How to Apply: If you are interested in applying, please send your resume and a cover letter by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.