Operations & Events Coordinator
Briya is committed to promoting diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) within our organization and the communities we serve. We seek to bring diverse candidates to our school because we value a diversity of experiences and ideas in our workplace.
To begin your application, please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com
The Operations & Events Coordinator is part of the team at Briya Public Charter School— a leading two-generation education program serving immigrant parents and their young children in Washington, D.C. Briya is a Tier One Public Charter School, consistently achieving the highest educational outcomes through its innovative, family-centric programming.
At Briya, adults acquire English, digital literacy, and parenting skills, with some continuing to the school’s workforce development programs. At the same time, their young children attend Briya’s high-quality early childhood program.
Briya has a strategic partnership with Mary’s Center, a Federally Qualified Health Center, further strengthening student families with comprehensive medical, dental, and social services. At three of its four campuses, Briya is co-located with Mary’s Center, and many Briya students are recruited through referrals from Mary’s Center staff.
The Operations & Events Coordinator is responsible for supporting school operations and related processes that ensure the safe, reliable function of all four facilities in support of Briya’s education programs. The Operations & Events Coordinator contributes to Briya’s success by coordinating three important areas: facilities, emergency preparedness, and school events. This position will include evening or weekend hours occasionally.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The Operations & Events Coordinator position may include, but is not limited to, the following tasks and responsibilities:
- Receive and document routine maintenance requests and update a schedule/calendar; ensure maintenance, janitorial, and grounds/landscape services are scheduled, documented, and completed to the satisfaction of Operations department.
- Coordinate schedules of maintenance vendors with Briya staff; facilitate contractors involved in facilities projects and delivery of services when needed.
- Support facilities needs across four school sites. Recommend enhancements to facilities to better meet staff and student needs based upon feedback from Briya staff.
- Uphold all shared space agreements; oversee coordination of usage and compliance to agreements.
USDA School Lunch Program
- Contribute to successful completion of annual site inspections for PreK and compliance matters for the Health Department.
Emergency Preparedness & Campus Safety
- Under guidance of Operations Director, complete plans for Emergency Response at all sites;
- Update ESA website for compliance with DC’s requirements, and ensure supplies are available at all sites for emergencies.
- Under guidance of Operations Director, coordinate emergency preparedness across all sites by scheduling and attending drills and staff/SERT trainings in emergency plans and procedures.
- Be on call to coordinate response to emergency situations at Briya, which may occur outside of regular school hours.
- Under guidance of Operations Director, plan and execute school events.
- Execute events, including but not limited to catering, food preparation, decorations, facilities set-up and clean-up, premiums and awards, program development, signage and materials, entertainment, and performances. Use strong communication skills, presenting event ideas and plans to staff in a variety of ways (presentation, in person, by email). Work with and address multiple stakeholders needs in designing and implementing events.
- Under guidance of Operations Director, negotiate contracts with vendors to mitigate risk and stay within budget.
- Facilitate staff meetings, including meeting communications, room set-up/reservation, translation and IT needs. Coordinate with the Communications Department on agenda and compilation of PowerPoint presentations.
- Attend and participate in all staff meetings, trainings, and retreats, preparing and presenting operations updates as needed.
- Prepare reports, take minutes, create documents to respond to and resolve routine operational needs.
A successful Operations & Events Coordinator will excel in the following ways:
- Teamwork – Can work well in multidisciplinary team setting with a variety of cultural and educational backgrounds and experiences. Contributes to building a positive team spirit, put success of the team above own interests, and support colleagues’ and students’ efforts to succeed.
- Interpersonal Skills – Exhibits excellent interpersonal skills and can build and sustain positive, productive relationships. Solves conflicts in a cooperative manner; assumes accountability for own actions; and keeps emotions under control in a fast-paced, team-intensive environment. Able to use tact, discretion, and diplomacy in working with all students, clients, partners, and the public.
- Communication Skills – Has excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Cultural Sensitivity – Has a strong commitment to diversity, with respect and sensitivity to cultural and educational differences. Understands cultural and linguistic barriers to education and has experience overcoming these for student success.
- Flexibility – Can adjust personal schedule to participate in occasional weekend and/or evening school events as needed. Operations & Events Coordinator needs to be on-call for emergency issues at the school, which may occur outside of regular business hours.
- Management Skills – Highly organized and able to manage multiple initiatives and priorities simultaneously.
Briya Public Charter School also values and expects the following from its employees:
- Professionalism – Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position. Follows established policies and procedures to support the overall function of the organization.
- Safety and Security – Observes safety and security procedures, reports potentially unsafe conditions, and uses equipment and materials properly.
- Attendance/Punctuality – Is consistently at work and on time, adhering to a schedule pre-determined between the employee and the supervisor.
- Dependability – Follows instruction and responds to management direction. Takes responsibility for own actions.
- Financial & Budget Management – Contributes to the financial health of the school through dedication to facilities maintenance and management, effective events management, and overall cost-conscious planning and expenditures to meet the needs of the school.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required for the Operations & Events Coordinator. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience –
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Demonstrated track record of operations and facilities management, and general administrative abilities
- Minimum 3 years of work experience in a related position
- Proficient in Excel, Word, and Outlook
- English proficiency; Spanish proficiency strongly desired (other languages a plus)
- Ability to work independently and without immediate supervision
- Reasoning Ability – Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out moderately complex, multi-step instructions and make appropriate independent decisions as necessary.
- Physical Demands – Regularly required standing, walking, and sitting, sometimes for many hours at a time; frequently required to reach with hands and arms, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, talk or hear; must be able to lift objects up to twenty-five (25) pounds. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Work Environment – Primarily works in a typical office setting with quiet to moderate noise level. Ability to regularly travel around Washington, D.C. using personal and/or public modes of transportation to work at all Briya locations. Occasionally needs to maintain work hours outside of Mon-Fri 9-5, including evenings and weekends, to coordinate events and support facilities operations.
To begin your application, please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org